Official opening Fabriek Delfshaven. After years of decay, the renovation of the ‘Fabriek van Delfshaven‘ was recently completed. Built in the early 1900’s by the Roeloff family, for dying clothes and later on used for dry-cleaning, as they found a way to make it affordable for the common people. It was a surprise to see offspring at the official opening. After telling about what it was like growing up, living next to the factory like riding a bike next to stockpiles of laundry, looking inside the factory through a window from their house, and blowing the steam whistle at the beginning and end of the labourday, they revealed the ‘first stone’ from 1907. It was taken out by the Roeloff family during one of their regular visits when the building was in bad condition and lost ‘it’s soul’. During the renovation they visited the factory again, and returned the stone to put it back again during the renovation of this fantastic building and thus return the soul to the building.
Below are before (mid 2010) and after pics, photos taken during the renovation can be found HERE.